McKean County Prison
17013 Rt. 6
Smethport, PA 16749
E-mail: click here
McKean County Prison
31 total: 21 full time, 10 part time; 26 bargaining, 4non-bargaining, non-civil service, 1 contracted.
Duties and Responsibilities (see Mission Statement):
The Warden is appointed by and serves under the general direction of the McKean County Prison Board. He/she is responsible for budget development and execution; personnel matters; policy and procedure development; changes in laws, State Codes and court decisions that have implications for operating the Prison; staff training; staffing levels; resource requirements; potential safety, security, or liability issues; inmate programs and services; public relations issues; audit and review findings such as the DOC inspections of the Prison; emergency preparedness; inmate healthcare; extraordinary occurrences such as the use of force, suicide, escape, etc.
It is the mission of the McKean County Prison to:
1. Provide a safe, secure, humane and constitutional environment for pretrial and sentenced inmates committed to our custody.
2. Provide a safe and professional working environment for staff, that includes principled leadership, training, policy and procedural guidance, and the resources necessary to effectively meet our responsibilities.
3. Protect the community, not only directly by securely segregating offenders, but also indirectly by providing treatment, training and educational opportunities, reducing inmate idleness and improving employability.
4. Provide quality service to our stakeholders such as the courts, probation and parole, law enforcement officers, public defender, district attorney, elected and appointed officials of county government, media, volunteers, vendors and contractors, inmate families and taxpayers.
5. Be mindful that we, as Jail employees, are public servants and have an obligation to maintain the physical plant, efficiently manage our resources, and adhere to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
District Judge’s Office (4)
Adult and Juvenile Probation Departments
District Attorney’s Office
Pubic Defender’s Office
Domestic Relations Office
County law enforcement agencies
Pennsylvania State Police
The Guidance Center
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services (Maple Manor)
The Family Center
Seneca Highlands IU9 of Education
BRMC and other area physicians and dentists
Federal and State Probation/Parole
Immigration and Naturalization Service
Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous
Area clergy/prison ministry
Various area community service sites
Approximately 50 approved volunteers
Sex Offender Treatment Groups
Tuesdays and Saturdays
1:00 PM to 4:00 PM and 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM
The only items that will be accepted from family members or friends are white underclothing, a watch less than $50 in value, and a wedding ring. The underclothing must be new and in the original packaging. Money will be accepted to be placed in the inmate’s Commissary Account; no personal checks.