McKean County Courthouse
Register of Wills and Clerk of Orphans' Court
500 W. Main Street Smethport, PA 16749
E-mail: click here
Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphan's Court (elected)
McKean County Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphan's Court
3 total: 2 full-time, non-bargaining, non-civil Service Register of Wills/clerk of Orphans' Court Office Clerk works in the County Planning Commission Office, as needed - employee's full salary is paid by the Register's Office) (Register of Wills/clerk of Orphans' Court, Deputy Register of Wills/ Clerk of Orphans' Court, Clerk)
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs the service of probating wilts, administering oaths to executors and administrators and issues certificates of appointment; collecting probate fees, issuing receipts and files inventories of probate assets.
2. Files inheritance appraisements and ads as an agent for collection of inheritance taxes for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; issues appropriate inheritance tax payment receipts and transmits to the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue; receives inheritance tax collections commissions (routed to the county treasurer)
3. Prepares and reports the inheritance tax collection payments to the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue monthly.
4. Files and records certified and exemplified copies of probate proceedings for resident and non-resident decedents.
5. Prepares county reports monthly; disburses monies to the county treasurer and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; issues checks; bank statement reconciliations; judicial computer fee collection for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and monthly collection reports; collection and accounting of all monies received by office; prepares and forwards newspaper accounts(probate); prepares yearly departmental budgets
6. Addresses genealogy requests and research
7. Prepares monthly statements for attorneys, balks, abstractors and individuals
8. receives marriage applications, prepares marriage licenses, issues payment receipts
9. Files the first and final accounts for the Orphan's Court and delivers to the judge
10. Files the necessary paperwork for adoptions
11. Files the necessary paperwork for the appointment of guardians and delivers to the judge
12. Files and records Orphans' Court proceedings
13. Prepares county and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania reports monthly and disburses the monies accordingly
The mission of the Register of Wills and Clerk of Orphans' Court office is to provide services of probate proceedings, inheritance tax payments, and marriage licenses, assist in genealogy requests and research, record Orphans' Court proceedings, including the filing of required adoption and guardian documents. This office strives to provide these services to the public in an efficient, prompt and courteous manner.
1. County Judges' Chambers
2. County Children and Youth Services
3. County Commissioners Office (annual budget)
4. County Treasurer's Office (monthly)
5. County Controller's Office (monthly)
1. Attorneys (local and out of area)
2. Pennsylvania Department of Revenue (inheritance tax collection)
3. Abstractors (heir searches)
4. General public (marriage licenses, adoptions, guardianships, administer oaths (probate proceedings), genealogy